This article will explain how to migrate your Form2Content Pro data from a Joomla 1.5 website to a Joomla 2.5 website.
Please note that this migration requires both a F2C Pro subscription for Joomla 2.5/3.x. The reason for the separate license was the huge amount of work in re-writing F2C and relevant extensions including the migration component. We hope that in the future Joomla will just upgrade and not migrate!
Please make sure you have TESTED BACKUPS at all times and read through all the steps first to make sure you understand what's going on.
1) Create a Joomla 2.5 website with correct users & category structure
There are several ways to migrate from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 depending on which extensions you use. Please visit the JED to find out which extension suits your needs.
After your upgrade, the new Joomla 2.5 website should follow the below criteria.
- All categories, users and or articles on the upgraded site have the same ID's in the database.
- You have not edited/changed any of them!
- You have copied the media/com_form2content folder plus all its subfolders to the upgraded website.
2) Install F2C Pro for Joomla 2.5
Download and install Form2Content Pro for Joomla 2.5 on the new website. Please note you need an active subscription. Your old F2C Pro for Joomla 1.5 license does not cover the new software.
DO NOT do anything else, but the next step.
3) Run the F2C Migration component
Follow the next steps to migrate the F2C data from the J1.5 website into the new databes tables of the J2.5 website.
- Install the Form2Content Data Migration Toolkit component on the upgraded website.
- In the back-end goto the menu Components -> Form2Content Data Migration Toolkit (J1.5 to J2.5).
- Check that "Erase current data" is selected and check the the correct prefix for the original J1.5 tables is specified.
- Click "Start Migration".
- When everything went well you'll see a confirmation that the migration was successful.
The run-time of the migration script is limited to the database and PHP time-outs configured on your server. Since the migration software executes lots a queries, a time-out error may occur when you have lots of Form2Content Articles.
In case of a time-out error it's safe to restart the migration, the script will start again at the point where it was shut-down. When you restart the migration after a time-out please make sure that the "Erase current data" option is unselected. Otherwise the migration will start completely from scratch and another time-out is likely to occur!
Upgading to Joomla 3.x
If you want you can continue to upgrade to Joomla 3. Simply download and install Form2Content Pro for Joomla 3 after you have upgraded the website to Joomla 3.x using the Joomla upgrader.